What is a better word than “ecstatic” to describe the feeling when you finally decide that you are ready to conquer the world through international shipping? You will have plenty of milestones in your Amazon selling journey, and this one will be one of the most unforgettable moments.
To sustain and maintain your business’s profitability, choosing the right international shipping option is the key. This article will discuss four main choices you can use to send orders abroad.
Option #1: Fulfilled By Amazon International Shipping
One of the most convenient ways to send packages abroad is through Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA), which you might already be using for your local shipments.
Internationally, the Amazon FBA shipping charges are not the same as shipping within your country. This time, you will use FBA Export, and using it has advantages and disadvantages.
- Ship at no additional cost: Prime among the benefits of the FBA Export Program is you do not need to pay anything to ship internationally. You will pay for the usual FBA fees for orders made on the Amazon website.
- Customer service and storage: Since you are sending via Amazon, you will have the advantage of having 24/7 customer service and a warehouse to store your products.
- Expenses passed on to the client: Free shipping is never free, and someone has to pay for the shipping cost. In this case, it will be your clients. Ensure that they know it to avoid negative feedback and low ratings.
- Longer delivery time: The delivery takes a while, depending on the shipment’s destination. Again, be clear with this to avoid negative feedback and loss of sales.
Option #2: Shipping Via a U.S. Address
While FBA offers an international shipping service, you may want to consider shipping the items yourself via a U.S. address. As a beginner in international shipping, having people you know to support you is a great relief.
You’ll need to have a U.S. address to send your products by bulk or whenever you get an order.
- Convenience: Although you might think that shipping the products to yourself can be a lengthy process, it can also be a more cost-effective method in sending your products. It can also be convenient since you don’t have to chase deadlines set by some shipping companies. This is convenient, especially if you know people in the U.S. There are also package forwarding services you can use in case you do not have acquaintances abroad.
- Send personal items: To send personal items, visit your local post office for options. Unfortunately, both Stallion Express and our partner carriers do not have services for personal items (including but not limited to, gifts being sent to your cousin in Florida!).
- Trust and reliability: To avoid issues when sending items to package forwarding services' warehouses and forwarding international clients’ orders, choose trusted companies. It is best to get recommendations or research first before striking a partnership.
- Loss of sales: If the process does not go as planned, your shipment will either take a long while to be sent or might not be sent at all.
Option #3: Shipping Through National Carriers
Canada Post, FedEx, and UPS are among the trusted National Carriers in Canada. You can send your orders through these companies, although they can be pricey.
- Convenience: These National Carriers are easy to find. They have tried and tested processes to get your items from Canada to the U.S.
- Credibility: Because of their established names, you are ensured that your items will reach their destination.
- Price: One of the main disadvantages of using National Carriers is the price, especially with express shipping, Canada Post, or other services and companies. As a rookie in international shipping, the costs may post a challenge to your business’s profitability
Option #4: Shipping Through Cross-Border Shippers
Cross-border shippers take your package to the border. Just make sure to purchase your USPS postage for your packages before you take them to drop centers. You also need to submit a manifest for customs clearance. Ensure that your items are less than $800 to skip customs tax and duty charges.
- Cheaper: This option works well for sellers who want to save when shipping internationally. You can compare the costs of using a National Carrier and cross-border shippers to see the difference.
- More open to negotiation: These shipping companies are not as big as National Carriers, so their customer service works differently. They are more willing to negotiate, which works best for small businesses.
- Credibility: Since these shippers are not as big and as credible as bigger shipping companies, you might hesitate to use them. To ease your mind, you can try shipping a few items to see how the whole process works.
There are a couple of ways to ship your products internationally, like choosing Stallion Express. With Stallion, you get a free U.S. address - which can be convenient for your Amazon FBA transactions. To know which option is the best for you, first set your shipping goals and know what your needs are. It will help if you also look into the details of the costs to ensure profitability. However, we suggest that you take a look at Stallion Express’ shipping services because with Stallion, you can save $ on the most popular U.S. shipping options like USPS + FedEx USA so you can almost equally compete with U.S. online sellers.
Do your research, and ensure that your sales can cover the costs of international shipping before you commit to this endeavor.